Icarus supported by the Swedish Innovation Agency Vinnova and KTH Innovation are now leading a joint team with world-leading partners to bring the technology to the aerodynamics industry which has the potential to revolutionize computational prediction and efficiency.
Our breakthrough adaptive Direct FEM technology gives fast and reliable prediction of turbulent separated flows for a full vehicle, identified as the main CFD challenge today [NASA Vision 2030, Jameson] with the following features:
- No explicit turbulence model
- No wall model: slip = small friction
- No parameters to fit
- First principles – solve purely conservation of momentum + incompressibility
- Direct stabilized FEM simulation, automated in Unicorn/FEniCS
- No manual mesh design – goal-oriented adaptive error control
- High performance – 10x faster and cheaper than Exa/RANS in HiLiftPW-3
- Compatible with current CFD workflow – plug-in replacement for CFD solver
- Fast and reliable prediction of turbulent separated flows for a full vehicle, identified as the main CFD challenge today [NASA Vision 2030, Jameson]
- Extensively validated and compared against world-leading competition at HiLiftPW (NASA/Boeing) and highest level of commercial CFD.
- Scientific method – Open Source – reproducible and falsifiable
The flow simulator by Jansson opens the possibility of predicting the performance of new designs with the best possible simulation at given cost.